so, this is based on a photo from a session with a great local model anna last fall. i am still playing around with pushing the composition envelope a bit (well, maybe a lot....or even too much????). i know that i will have to devise a solution to this dilemma. something in the upper left would probably do the trick.....the edge of a frame, an amorphous organic blob of yellow, what ever.....i will have to think about it as i go along. it also appears that i have gone back to darker washes and i am not too sure that i like this. anyway.
the colors for the flesh and initial light wash were scarlet lake, raw sienna, brilliant orange, and manganese blue. the modeling on her flesh was various mixes of vermillion and raw sienna with and without the addition of cerulean blue both alone and in the mix. i used a very dilute wash of ultramarine blue to help some of the shadows recede by both cooling them off and darkening a bit. this seems to do more cooling than actually changing the overall value....which can be beneficial. the shadow on the wall behind her and on the floor is a stand-by ultramarine blue and burnt sienna with some alizarin crimson permanent and mineral violet tossed in rather randomly for interest. this is where i wish i had gone lighter from the get-go. that would have allowed me to manipulate it in terms of color, temperature and value as i went along....now it is, if anything, too dark already and i will have to leave it alone....sigh.
|initial washes and start of modeling|
|more work on her face and start |
of her clothing
|boots, top, hair|
|current state of affairs|