i am back from our trip and have done a little bit more on the painting of marlene. it has been done in such dribs and drabs that i really can't remember what i did when or with what, but i thought that i would post it at this stage just to show you what i have done and prove that i was was back at work!. the only thing that i can say is that i got very sloppy with her shirt and , specifically, its shadows. i was working off of a close -up of her face and sort of working off memory and dead reckoning (both poorly in retrospect). so, i will have to lift off some of the shadows and re-paint them more precisely from the full figure photo that i originally took out a pine ridge. so here it is, blemishes and all:
the look i am going for is to suggest that her life is beset with some of the difficulties that reservation living bestows but that she has still maintained the proud bearing of her heritage as a lakhota native. she is a remarkable woman and i hope to convey that. we'll see as things progress.
Friday, June 17, 2011
|"mallard model with lemon"|
all in all, probably not many new posts for a while. here is a small still life i did awhile ago just for fun. sorry the photo isn't all that great.
Sunday, June 12, 2011
|"i am lakhota"|
on to my more current project that i started as a demonstration at the recent eastbank artists' monthly meeting "i am lakhota". i used pretty much a #6 round brush for all of these steps. i put down a slightly mixed puddle of alizarin crimson permanent, quinacridone gold with just a touch of cadmium red light and started with the mouth. a dab of the mixture in each corner and in the middle and then pulled this out to the rest of the upper lip with a damp clean brush. i also ran a single perpendicular stroke with the same damp clean brush from just below the nose through the *left* side of her lip to lose that edge which is in shadow. the cleft was put in in pure cerulean blue as was the shadow under the lower lip. this lower dab however was expanded to the shadow side of her chin with the reddish mixture as i described above. some of the shadow side neck was defined using the red mixture darkened with more alizarin and a bit of burnt sienna, bringing it down over the top of her shirt that is involved in the same shadow shape. i strengthened some of the shadow shapes around both eyes with the same colors admixed on the paper. the hair splotches were painted in with ultramarine blue, burnt sienna, and a dab of mineral violet to start to explain the lateral aspects of her face which are bordered by her hair. as usual, i couldn't resist a few scrapes on both sides when the paper had lost its sheen and i was sure the result would be a light strand of hair and not a dirty,
|close up of "i am lakhota"|
Wednesday, June 8, 2011
i have hit a bit of a lull lately due to a variety of circumstances i won't bore you with. suffice it to say that i think it (the sparse postings) will continue for a little while as we are now getting ready for company....granddaughter....visiting at the end of june, brief trip to the pacific northwest for daughter's graduation from nursing school, and still shaking off this virus. but last week i was obligated to do a demo at the monthly meeting of the eastbank artists and i will post the progress of the painting here today and see how i do finishing it before we leave early next week.