|original sketch from february|
|drawing and first washes|
|background:"masking" of face/violin|
after drawing it out on the paper which is arches hot press watercolor board (90# paper attached to a stiff mat-like board.....i have used this before and found it a great surface and just a little less expensive than 300# arches...but without being able to create "deckle" edges), i flooded the figure and background with a variegated, high value wash using manganese blue nova, quinacridone gold, scarlet lake and brilliant orange.
|a bit more on the features and violin|
this done, i turned to the shadow side wash on the face. i used a wet glaze technique putting down ultramarine blue over the shadow areas first and then charged in the flesh color of scarlet lake and brilliant orange. i let this do its thing with out manipulation.....okay, still happy (it looked a little dark at this point but true to watercolor's habits it dried a couple of values lighter). a little more on the features, starting to model his beard and put a na initial tone of quinacridone gold on the top of the violin rounded out the painting at this point. i have decided to painting around the strings on the violin.........a smart move might be to mask them too, but i like a challenge........wish me luck.
|state of painting "lost in the blue grass" at present|