|starting point for background|
to get back to the background, i painted on successive glazes of yellow, and a variety of blues looking for just the right tint. the first was ultramarine blue which because of the red in it left things a little dingy and grayer than i wanted. the second was cobalt which was pretty pure , transparent blue which brought it back toward the freshness i was looking for. the last which i am going to stick with was a light value wash of peacock blue that i found in my "blues" drawer waaaaaaaay in the back. it may be just a little too "sweet" but i am already just a bit darker than i intended to go and i opted to leave it at this stage rather than search for the perfect hue only to have too dark a painting.
here is the beginning point for the background and the end after a few the stages as i went through with each of several washes each done with a #26 round brush. of note, i did apply each glaze over the *right* or shadow sides of the figures to "plant" them into the scene and to help that recede a bit. i then went back after each wash while it was still wet and softened the hard edge. all in all, i think this came out pretty close to what i was striving for.
|"the betrothal of miss victoria" (15"X20")|