all i really did was put in some background, first, in the upper right and then the upper left. in regard to the former i used a technique that i have rarely used, that of wet glazing. this is where one puts down one wash on top of another before the first has dried. the way i have seen this done in the past is to put on a yellow first (quinacridone gold in this instance) followed by a red (rose) and finished with a blue (cobalt blue). i didn't like the dull grayish cast that i got so put on a cerulean after it had dried. still not entirely happy with it. on the upper left i just put down my more typical splashes of each color (see below) and just lightly maneuvered them together letting them do their thing. i did spritz some clear water along the bottom edge and blotted a bit to to taper the color. this resulted in some runs that didn't bother me, in fact, i liked them. so i left them in. at this point i noticed that i had painted ben's *right* hand a lovely shade of blue. thinking this was probably a mistake, him having abandoned his smurfian predilections long ago, i lifted it out and put down a more fleshlike color in a shadow tint.
|"gotta love my mom" 16"X20"|
in form of a critique, i am relatively happy with the figures and faces (in real life the skin tones are quite a bit warmer than as depicted in this photo) at this point in my development, but the backgrounds are not at the same level. every once in a while i stumble serendipitously into a good solution, but it seems rather random. in the next one of this nature i am going to try for a more flat wash initially and then add a little texture. this is more in line with what i have seen others do in the background, like ted nuttall to name one, and i like it better than what i have been doing.
post script: i see i have neglected to finish the *left* side of ben's hair. i will put sown something similar to the *right* but won't wait to post.