dedicated to those who paint and those who appreciate watercolor paintings: featuring watercolor, the process, and the finished product
Tuesday, November 1, 2011
"red boots splashing": the finish line is in sight
near to finishing
there really isn't too much left to this painting. i finished off the modelling and painting of the raincoat using the #8 round and mixtures of raw umber and oxide of chromium carefully losing edges in about half the shapes as i went. i then put in an overall wash of cadmium yellow medium so as not to leave too much stark white paper. the coat is yellow after all and that was what appealed to our daughter the most at the time. some anatomy corrections were necessary around her *left* hand where i lifted some pigment infero-laterally and repainted the hand/arm/cuff. the background needed to be added and after a bit of thought i decided to make it a little longer on the left side (as we are looking). this was done with a #12 round and a combination of ultramarine blue, mineral violet, burnt sienna, carmine, and cerulean blue as it worked its way down the page. as i worked i spattered some and the rest i kept quite juicy as i imagined a damp, wet, rainy day. i found a little too late that a small dribble had collected itself and had raced down the mid left side before i spotted it. i made a feeble attempt to blot it but it was too late and the pigment had stained the paper. at that point i decided to "like" it and left well enough alone. i finished the boots as seen with carmine and cadmium red light mainly re-stating and correcting the shadows . i charged a bit of ultramarine in places seen and made sure that the cast shadow was added to right away guaranteeing a continuation of the tie-in established on the last step. i didn't like the shadow under the nose and the line of the upper lip so i did some lifting and re-painting. i strengthened the shadow under the nose and the nostrils with a dab of cadmium red light and cerulean blue dulled down with a small amount of raw sienna. the buttons on the coat were added last as seen and the upper left edge of the remaining two were lost using a damp, clean brush after i put in the shadow to define the lower right extent of each. i believe that is all that i will do on this particular painting, so on with another!